[pvrusb2] Kernel 2.6.22 and firmware loading on a NAS

Reinhold Kainhofer lists at kainhofer.com
Fri Mar 30 11:47:40 CDT 2012

I have successfully cross-compiled the standalone pvrusb2 module for the
2.6.22 kernel[1] used in my D-Link DNS-325 NAS, because I intend to use
the WinTV HVR-1900 as a HDD video recorder (recording from the analog
output of my settop box).

the pvrusb2 module), but apparently loading the firmware fails, although
I placed the correct file in /lib/firmware/

Here's the syslog output:
pvrusb2: Hardware description: WinTV HVR-1900 Model 73xxx
NTFS driver 2.1.28 [Flags: R/O MODULE].
pvrusb2: ***WARNING*** Device fx2 controller firmware seems to be missing.
pvrusb2: Did you install the pvrusb2 firmware files in their proper
location?
pvrusb2: request_firmware unable to locate fx2 controller file
v4l-pvrusb2-73xxx-01.fw
pvrusb2: Failure uploading firmware1
pvrusb2: Device initialization was not successful.
pvrusb2: Giving up since device microcontroller firmware appears to be
missing.

Any idea how I can make the module load the firmware correctly?

Thanks,
Reinhold

[1] This also answers Mike's question on Feb 22 about the earliest
Kernel, for which the standalone module is compiled and used. Many NAS
devices still have old, but very stable Kernels, like the 2.6.22 used in
the D-Link DNS-315. I chose the HVR-1900 due to its hardware encoder,
because the NAS has no powerful processor:
   reinhold at dns-325:~$ uname -a
   Linux dns-325 2.6.22.18 #14 Mon Nov 1 22:16:19 CST 2010 armv5tejl
GNU/Linux

   reinhold at dns-325:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
   Processor       : ARM926EJ-S rev 1 (v5l)
   BogoMIPS        : 1196.03