[pvrusb2] Some install guidance on WinTV PVR2 USB

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 20:39:20 CDT 2013

>dmesg shows:
>
>[ 315.904957] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
>
>[ 315.955716] usbcore: registered new interface driver em28xx
>

>No video0 or video1.
>

>I'm not sure that the above is even the WinTV PVR2 USB device. I guess I could remove it and reboot, however, if memory serves,
>
>back a couple of years ago I did have it running, it would pop up a message that was more clear when it was detected.
>

>Later.... I removed the device and rebooted. Nothing indicating video. I plugged it back in, and still nothing.
>

>The only thing I can figure, is somehow the driver is not compiled correctly.

Make sure you have your USB HCD drivers installed (ie. Drivers > USB Support >
xHCI?/UHCI?/OHCI? HCD and maybe Drivers > HID Support > Generic HID)

But really, the pvrusb2 module .config depends should automatically pull in
these?

You also need the pvrusb2 firmware.  But since you're not getting any USB
device detection, I'm posting my very recent experience just in case this might
be a low-level kernel thing.

My old PVRUSB2 29XXX device, I recently tossed-out because I think a
transformer on the same outlet strip shorted-out, causing the PVRUSB2 device to
also take a spike.

I assumed since the kernel USB plug & play wasn't registering and showing any
activity on plug-in with my currently installed operating systems, I pretty
much assumed the PVRUSB2 device was trashed.  I should have thoroughly tested
just a little more to rule-out any recent kerenl bugs, because I just tested on
Windows 8 and a few other current Linux boxes.  Maybe using an old LiveCD or
definitely an older 32 bit Winodws XP just to be safely sure.

But really, after the accident, I should have seen a little more within dmesg
by just plugging in the device.  Should have seen at least a one liner stating
registered pvrusb2 at the very least.  Only thing I didn't rule-out, a very
low-level kernel bug and just assumed the timing of the two were too much to
rule-out.

I still have a Hauppauge HVR-1950.  My next device, since I'm using PCI-e, will
be a Hauppauge PCI-e device with FM tuner.  On my Linux box that I was using
the PVRUSB2 29XXX for an FM radio device, I just bought an ADS TECH Instant FM
USB device.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/