[pvrusb2] recent problem: getting frontend status failed

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Mon Jun 9 21:25:35 CDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 08:53:37PM -0500, isely at isely.net wrote:
> I don't see how mythtv could "cause" this sort of problem.  I'd bet it

Agreed.

> is something do with with the driver perhaps in combination with changes
> in the DVB subsystem in the kernel.  Did the problem just start getting

Or maybe the firmeware in combination with particular timing...
I have noticed that sometimes the red led is on, sometimes it blinks
(not a steady blink, more like a reflection of an unsteady voltage),
sometimes it is on (when not recording) and it's usually off when recording.

> worse all by itself or can you note any system changes?  For example,
> updated kernel, hardware change, other hardware added which might affect

There was a kernel update recently.  No other hardware added or changed
(this is a laptop).

> race conditions, USB pathway change like different cables or hub.  If

Same cable, same usb socket.

> the problem just started getting worse by itself with no other changes
> then it might be the hardware itself.

One thing that appears to affect this is heat.  When ambient temperature
was around 82-84, I couldn't record barely anything unattended.  A
restart would record the first show but subsequent ones would fail.
When the temperature dropped back down to 77-80, the lock-ups are much
more rare.  I'll keep tabs on this to see if it is consistent.

Thanks for replying.

Augustine