[pvrusb2] Audio problem: DC offset?

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 17:35:01 CDT 2014

Since I've been using the HVR-1950 (very similar to the UK? HVR-1900) alongside
the pvrusb2 module, I've never seen this problem except for rarely sometimes
/dev/dvb interface, and likely only cold starting the HVR-1950 is then
required to fix.  (Likely a firmware file loading freeze-up is occurring
somewhere.)

For recording, I use a crontab task to spawn my custom $HOME/bin/record-dvb.sh
script; which record-dvb.sh simply uses zap (azap) to tune the HVR-1950 and
then cat/dd to record directly to file using the /dev/dvb device file.  (Most
other complex recording software such as mplayer/mencoder will additionally
modify the stream which is also tends to be undesirable instead of recording
the raw stream.)

If you're looking for reliability when recording, using a method similar to my
record-dvb.sh might be the absolute best method.  (ie. I record the daily
evening news, everyday with almost 100% reliability.)

I think Mike might have some experience when the frontend you're using.

I rarely, if ever, view the live TV feed except when testing.  But I do
understand a majority of users use these USB devices to avoid the use of
regular TV sets, using a laptop only especially while traveling.  (I did watch
the live stream using the older or original  "PVRUSB2" Hauppauge USB device,
and usually when these freezes occurred, the freezing or segfaults were due to
the complex software from not properly handling the stream, or further upper
level coding errors.)

The above record-dvb.sh might give an almost absolute reliable method of
recording, as many of us tend to have time to only watch the news at other
times.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/