[pvrusb2] Audio problem: DC offset?

isely at isely.net isely at isely.net
Sun Jun 15 21:58:40 CDT 2014

Jan:

Which mode is this happening in - digital or analog?

If this is digital, then the tuner doesn't do anything at all to
separate or otherwise handle audio from video - it's just a bitstream
from the transmitting station and that stream is passed via DVB over to
MythTV.  So if there were a problem, then the entire stream should be
disrupted not just the audio.

If this is analog, then the tuner indeed has separate paths for audio vs
video.  The two paths are combined in the hardware at the point where
they are encoded to an mpeg stream, which is then passed untouched
through the pvrusb2 driver via V4L over to MythTV.

If this is analog and you're able to find a circumstance where the
problem can be reproduced, then try to take MythTV out of the picture by
directly capturing the stream into a file.  Then play that back with
mplayer (or whatever) and see if (a) it pops, and (b) it pops exactly
the same way if you repeatedly play the stream.

I agree that sure sounds like some kind of DC offset, though I have to
think that at some point in the analog path there's some capacitive
coupling to eliminate any chance for an offset.

Unloading / reloading the pvrusb2 driver also has the effect of
reinitializing the hardware, as I'm sure you might imagine.

If you just power-cycle the affected tuner without reloading the pvrusb2
driver, does that clear the problem?

You mentioned multiple tuners - does it always happen to the same tuner
each time or is it a random distribution?

Did this problem possibly start after a kernel update?  (That would also
entail a V4L update and for analog capture the audio is controlled via a
module in V4L that could have changed...)

  -Mike