[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 encoder appears to be stuck error messages

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 11:50:21 CDT 2015

I use Gentoo too, and usually find there's one additional firmware to manually
add from the pvrusb2 firmwares in order to have the HVR-1950 work completely.
Once added (and I believe it's the v4l-cx25840.fw below), the firmware is
usually never needed again until a new full install is performed.

=sys-firmware/ivtv-firmware-20080701-r1
=sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20140902

I find both now provide the v4l-cx25840.fw, so shrugs as to which package is
providing the file here and as to why I always seem to have a problem with one
firmware.  (I think one of the additional packages is now also providing the
firmware as of recently.)

Here's the firmware file's details to compare with yours:

# /bin/ls -al /lib/firmware/v4l-cx25840.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16382 Dec 27 18:17 /lib/firmware/v4l-cx25840.fw

# md5sum /lib/firmware/v4l-cx25840.fw
dadb79e9904fc8af96e8111d9cb59320  /lib/firmware/v4l-cx25840.fw

This could also be caused by a bad power adapter.  I cannot recall if only the
analog side of the hardware tuner will function without proper firmware

Also,  make sure your kernel is auto selecting any additional multimedia
drivers.  (There's a kernel option for this below the pvrusb2 driver somewhere.
I believe the option is called CONFIG_MEDIA_SUBDRV_AUTOSELECT.)

I have had no problems with any of the stable gentoo-sources kernel versions
for many years, of which, the recent kernel versions I have used and currently
using are:

=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.17.8-r1
=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.18.9

The pvrusb2 driver tends to be quite stable, with few bugs.  I've also found
recently the pvrusb2 driver loads much quicker then the saa7164 driver required
for the Hauppauge HVR-2250 internal PCI-E version, which is very similar to the
HVR-1950.  (The saa7164 encounters a 15-30 second during udev init, but the
2250 had dual tuners.)  You probably now hold some highly valued hardware
within the Linux community, for which I think now is superseded a currently
incapatable Hauppauge hardware version.

So if you're seeing /dev/dvb/adapter* and /dev/video0, then I think something
additional is occurring and the problem isn't with the pvrusb2 driver, but I
only scanned over the debug output.  Mike will likely respond with is official
insight shortly.  In the meantime, you have some info to get your going
somewhere.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/