[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 encoder appears to be stuck error messages

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 12:05:11 CDT 2015

> On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 07:39:39AM -0500, J Miller wrote:
>This issue turns out to have been a false alarm. I sent in my questions
>about it after having spent a good part of a couple days testing the
>equipment. Late last night in some final testing, I adjusted some
>additional settings and now both tuners seem to be working fine. There are
>a few strange things when watching live TV--e.g., when changing channels
>the tuner sometimes goes back to a channel that had been previously tuned.
>But test recordings I've tried so far have worked fine. Since I watch very
>little live TV, I don't expect the intermittent strange issue mentioned to
>be much of a factor. So, sorry to have bothered the list which what seems
>actually to have been a user issue (ignorance).

I have never seen this problem.  This seems to be related to MythTV.  (And
another reason I tend to avoid bloated software, they introduce further
possible problems.)

I merrily and simply use a small self-created script for tuning and recording
called record-dvb.sh.  (It's file location URL is linked within a Gentoo Wiki
page.)  For scheduling recordings, I easily call the script via crontab.  The
script has been reliable for me for many years.

The other thing you have to watch for when recording, MPlayer and MythTV tend
to unknowingly re-encode the data streamed from the pvrusb2 device (or any DVB
device file) into it's own format of choice.  Hence, you're not recording a
vanilla stream from the device and likely unknowingly degrading the video and
audio quality.  Most do not seem to mind this loss versus having all the
features of MythTV, etc.  (ie.  The only tasks required for recording from the
DVB device, first lock the tuner to a channel, and then simply use "cat
/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > file.mpg".)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/