[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 encoder appears to be stuck error messages

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Apr 2 21:24:16 CDT 2015

On Wed, 1 Apr 2015, Roger wrote:

> I merrily and simply use a small self-created script for tuning and recording
> called record-dvb.sh.  (It's file location URL is linked within a Gentoo Wiki
> page.)  For scheduling recordings, I easily call the script via crontab.  The
> script has been reliable for me for many years.
>
> The other thing you have to watch for when recording, MPlayer and MythTV tend
> to unknowingly re-encode the data streamed from the pvrusb2 device (or any DVB
> device file) into it's own format of choice.  Hence, you're not recording a
> vanilla stream from the device and likely unknowingly degrading the video and
> audio quality.  Most do not seem to mind this loss versus having all the
> features of MythTV, etc.  (ie.  The only tasks required for recording from the
> DVB device, first lock the tuner to a channel, and then simply use "cat
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > file.mpg".)

I've run across that script before, Roger, and I have to admit that I've
found that approach very appealing. I would very much welcome getting away
from the bloat of MythTV. There would be some minor drawbacks for me
personally--things such having to schedule all episodes of some series
individually rather than as a group. Though I personally could live with
such minor inconveniences, the real barrier for me to adopting the DVR
approach you've taken is the fact that I am not, and do not want to be,
the sole DVR scheduler in my household. You see, my wife would never be
able to manage the more manual/technical method you reference for
scheduling recordings. On the other hand, she's become quite adept at, and
is now very attached to, scheduling recordings through Mythweb. Were I to
adopt an approach such as yours, the burden of scheduling all recordings,
I am sure, would fall on me.

That said, there might be ways of making your method more
user-friendly--perhaps even friendly enough for more techno-phobic folks
like my wife. For example, perhaps, rather than scheduling cron jobs, the
remind program, running in daemon mode, could be utilized. It does have a
frontend (tkremind), and calendar appointments can be made to trigger
events like executing scripts. How an interactive interface like tkremind
could be made available across the network so that someone could enter
"appointments" (recording time slots) from a remote machine, I have no
idea. Then there would be the issue of somehow matching entries entered
there to a set of recording scripts. Then, you start getting partway
toward a more full-fledged solution like MythTV. Unfortunately my modest
technical abilities do not allow me to do much more than speculate that
some such alternate arrangement might be made to work; the actual
execution of it, if it would even be possible and/or more desirable,
remain beyond my reach. Which is why I remain a user of MythTV :(