[pvrusb2] fwextract

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Mon Apr 22 01:28:33 CDT 2019

Dear list,

As mentioned in the earlier thread (subject Noise) I used fwextract.pl
to extract firmware from a Hauppauge CD.

I would just like to add that this is precisely what I did: I extracted
it straight from the CD. I am saying that because fwextract includes the
following comments:

# To extract firmware, just run the script, ensuring that the Windows
# driver files have been expanded into a "win_driver" subdirectory.
# (Alternatively, just name the relevant directory on the command.)
# The script will locate the firmware and extract it into which will
# be ready to use for upload into the hardware.  This script uses a
# table to recognize firmware files; it is able to seek and recognize
# multiple driver versions (depending on what's in the table).

The above suggests that the drivers first have to be installed on a
Windows system such that they are expanded into a directory which can
then be processed by fwextract. Not so - I mounted the CD on a Linux
system, pointed fwextract at the CD's root directory and this enabled
fwextract to find and extract the firmware just fine.

HTH, Jan