[pvrusb2] Things about noise handling

isely at isely.net isely at isely.net
Mon Apr 22 20:57:55 CDT 2019

A few words about noise...

In an analog electronic pathway, everything said in this thread is
absolutely true.  An analog signal has effectively zero "hamming
distance" between the signal level and any source of noise.  If noise
gets introduced it is impossible to later isolate and remove.  It is why
analog systems are subject to signal degradation and it is why such
systems require everything around it to be EMI/RFI "clean".

But in a digital electronic pathway, none of this applies.  Once the
signal is changed into a stream of bits, the noise has to be strong
enough to flip bits before it becomes a problem and even in those cases
if the signal is encoded with forward error correction (e.g. redbook CD
audio, OTA digital video) then even if bits get flipped the system can
frequently reverse the damage.  So long as the bit depth (bits/sample)
is enough to exceed your expected noise floor and so long as the
sampling frequency is better than 2X the maximum highest frequency of
the incoming signal (the Shannon limit), there's simply no chance for
signal loss / degradation.  Once it's digital, noise is generally not
going to be a problem and if it ever gets bad enough to "be" a problem
then likely it won't be subtle and the signal destruction will be total
(e.g. bit stream completely garbled or dirty power causing processing
elements to just simply crash).

So for a problem like what is discussed here, you have to evaluate what
part of the audio signal path is analog and what part is digital.
Because it's only the analog part of the pathway where you really have
to worry.  And with an HVR-1950 (or an older PVR-USB2), once the analog
signal reaches the first processing chip it's digital from that point
all the way to your hard drive (or whatever you are doing with the
signal).  So the only analog parts here are basically whatever
electronics might be in front of the chip that is capturing the audio
(e.g. the cx25840 for HVR-1950).  And I expect it's probably just a few
passive parts (perhaps low pass filter) and some clamping diodes for ESD
protection of the input and that's it.  If there really is noise getting
into the audio - for a line-in input - likely it was already there once
it reaches the HVR-1950.  Because there's not much of anything beyond
those RCA jacks that is still analog.  It's not impossible, just
probably also not likely.

Regarding the RF input, involving things like antenna amplifiers, again
it's a digital vs analog thing.  If you are capturing older analog TV
signals, like one of NTSC / PAL / SECAM, then yeah a poor amplifier that
is injecting or accepting noise isn't going to help at all.  However
again if your incoming signal is actually a digital bitstream, like ATSC
here in the USA, then the interference has to be strong enough to
actually disrupt the bits AND overwhelm the forward error correction -
and then you're totally hosed.  This is why digital TV signals are
essentially perfect and seem immune to noise, at least until it gets so
bad that you lose the signal entirely.  There's generally no middle
ground here.  So again, if that pathway is digital TV, things like metal
vs plastic encased antenna amplifiers probably won't really make much
difference.  It might for analog TV.

  -Mike