[pvrusb2] make flags

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Nov 2 07:04:30 CST 2005

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was checking out the pvrusb2 makefile the other day
> and I noticed that there were no CFLAGS (like -O)
> passed onto  make. Is this intentional? Or is this
> done automatically?
>
> Anyway on my ARM processor I added -Os to the makefile
> and the size of the ko file dropped by 1/3 rd or so.
> Haven't thought on testing this on my pc linux system,
> and I probably won't have the time for it either
> today, so I thought to not delay things and post this
> now already.

This module is set up to build as part of the kbuild system exported by
the kernel itself.  To that end, I have mostly just followed what the
kbuild documentation recommended and it said nothing about CFLAGS.  I kind
of figure that choices pertaining to _how_ to compile the sources should
be left up to the build system and that the question of _what_ to compile
is what I have to provide.  For example, if it makes sense to optimize for
size (-Os), then why shouldn't that be done for the whole kernel instead
of just the module?