[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20051016

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Oct 18 09:14:24 CDT 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, xavier.gnata at free.fr wrote:

> Quoting Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, xavier.gnata at free.fr wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Everything works here (AFAICS) with a 2.6.13.
>>> I'm gonna try with a 2.6.14-rc.
>>> Please note than udev now replaces hotplug in debian sid. Consequently, you
>> have
>>> to copy the firmwares into /lib/firmware/ (hotplug used to load them from
>>> /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/)
>>>
>>> Xavier
>>
>> Do the instructions given on the web site for locating the distributions
>> set of firmware directories still work in this case?
>
> Hum it must be distribution dependant.
> So, could you please tell users to put the firmware both in
> /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ (if they still use hotplug) or in
> /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ (new way with udev).
> Google tells my that they are distributions where /lib/firmware/ is only a link
> to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/.
> To sum up : Put the firmware in both locations and you will not face any pb. :)
>
> Xavier, who is not very good to write clear users manuals ;)

This isn't what I was asking about.  There are some statements in
pvrusb2-utils.html that discuss _how_ _to_ _discover_ where the firmware
directories are.  Here's the part I'm talking about:

<BLOCKQUOTE>

Regardless of the exact method used, the result will be two firmware files
(pvrusb2.f1 and pvrusb2.f2) that have to be put somewhere. During its
initialization the pvrusb2 driver will expect to find these files, load
them into memory and then upload their contents to the pvrusb2 device. For
this to work, you have to be using hotplug, and you have to place these
files in a spot where hotplug can find them. The exact location may be
distribution dependant. On my Debian system, viable locations include:

     /lib/firmware
     /usr/local/lib/firmware
     /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware

However, your distribution may have things configured differently. For
example, perhaps your system is configured to look in
/lib/hotplug/firmware instead. With hotplug, the firmware.agent script is
programmed with these locations. Try this command to find out your list of
candidate firmware directories:

     grep FIRMWARE_DIRS /etc/hotplug/firmware.agent

</BLOCKQUOTE>

So, given what you said above about udev vs hotplug in Debian Sid, is that
quoted text still good enough?