[pvrusb2] Re: Why sysfs only root-writeable?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Sep 2 19:24:51 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Bill Crowell wrote:

> Please make this option set /sys /proc and any /dev entries created by
> the driver as this will make it all in the same context.

No, that isn't possible.  Different subsystems manage these different
pieces.

I issue calls to create /sys entries and I can control the uid and gid of
such inodes.  The module options I plan to add will allow setting of the
uid and gid for these inodes.

I issue calls to the v4l core to create character device structures in the
kernel, BUT udevd or devfsd is the entity that creates the /dev entries in
the file system.  Therefore I have no way in the driver to control
attributes of such inodes.  This is the same point I was making earlier.
It's up to udevd of devfsd to assign those attributes.  Out of my hands.

I don't issue any calls in the kernel to create entries under /proc,
however the USB core creates inodes there (under the usbfs mount point
within /proc) for USB devices that exist in the system.  So technically
there will be something there that relates to the pvrusb2 device.  But I
don't control it, so I can't decide its attributes.