[pvrusb2] Firmware location error?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Apr 20 08:16:40 CDT 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, roger wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 00:35 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
>> Did you recently update your hotplug package?
>
> Not that I know of, still the same hotplug package that I know of. :-/
>

>> Unfortunately the pvrusb2 driver doesn't know where the firmware is
>> actually living, either.  All it does is ask for a file name and the
>> question of where it is actually looked for is handled in userland.  So I
>> can't help you much there :-(
>
> The log file does show it's trying to upload the firmware, but fails to
> do so.
>

>> Note: The firmware file names were changed a few snapshots back.  The
>> driver will search for multiple names right now in order to remain
>> backwards compatible, but you may want to consider using the new names.
>> The web documentation lists the correct names.  (However with that said,
>> it doesn't sound like this is the issue you hit.)
>
> Nope. Just test renaming the files and the naming is proper with this
> snapshot.

I just realized you're still using a fairly old snapshot.  More recent
snapshots will interpret the the error code and show you exactly which
files name(s) were requested.

FYI, in your case with that snapshot, code=-2 means that the file wasn't
found.

> This is really weird and popped up within the past week or so, just
> after messing with MTD kernel modules (the MTD modules were disabled in
> my previous kernel builds).
>
> I'm going to fiddle some more to see what gives.

I don't see how changing something in the kernel could affect where
firmware files might be searched for, since the search path is a userland
thing.  I still think something has changed for you in userland.  But in
any case, good luck...