[pvrusb2] Hauppauge device causes system-wide USB failure

Bill Crowell bill at crowellsystems.com
Wed Aug 16 09:48:54 CDT 2006

As observed last night, the Hauppauge box made a loud, popping sound.
Video stopped and all USB devices became unusable. The system halted and
had to be manually restarted.

Subsequent testing showed the entire USB subsystem - including the host
controller to be unavailable. Physical inspection of the motherboard
showed the USB controller chip to be warped.

This was *not* a failure of the I2C layer as some have reported.

Isolated the fault to improper grounding of the cable TV system at my
condo and a concurrent direct hit on the cable TV feed...

--
William G. Crowell
Crowell Systems