[pvrusb2] Hauppauge device causes system-wide USB failure

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Aug 16 09:58:12 CDT 2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Bill Crowell wrote:

> As observed last night, the Hauppauge box made a loud, popping sound.
> Video stopped and all USB devices became unusable. The system halted and
> had to be manually restarted.
>
> Subsequent testing showed the entire USB subsystem - including the host
> controller to be unavailable. Physical inspection of the motherboard
> showed the USB controller chip to be warped.
>
> This was *not* a failure of the I2C layer as some have reported.
>
> Isolated the fault to improper grounding of the cable TV system at my
> condo and a concurrent direct hit on the cable TV feed...

Lightning hits are never fun.  I grew up in a house that got nailed by
3 different lightning "events" over that time.  Equipment doesn't even
need to be plugged in to be damaged - all it takes is a long enough stray
wire to act as an antenna and enough charge can be picked up to fry
things that might be connected to it.

Sorry to hear about this.  However I don't think we can blame the pvrusb2
driver on this one :-)