[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20061227

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Dec 28 10:27:48 CST 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, G Mc.Pherson wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Mike Isely wrote:
> > This new driver implements FM radio support.  Credit goes to Pantelis
> > Koukousoulas for implementing the key features needed to make this work
> > (and for kicking me enough to make me clean it up the rest of the
> > way...).
>
> Thank you, Pantelis and Mike for implementing this feature. I've just
> begun testing the 20061227 driver and it seems to be working very well
> on the 29xxx chipset.
>
> I do have one question though. Is there any way to record the radio
> stream as an mp3? There are a few radio shows that I'd like to record
> and then transfer to my ipod for listening at work.
>
> Gord

Well this isn't a perfect solution, but you could use mplayer to strip
out the audio.  You can definitely use it to process the audio into raw
pcm data and from that you could re-encode a normal mp3 stream.
There's probably a still better / lossless way to do this (i.e. set up
mplayer to just pull out the raw mp3 frames), but I'm not an expert in
that.

It might be possible to get the cx23416 encoder to produce a different
output format (e.g. raw pcm or maybe just the mp3 data itself); this is
one of the things still on my to-do list.