[pvrusb2] IR Question?

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 13:25:15 CST 2006

theres a new program I found to use with LIRC called
kbde that can translate your remote codes directly to
keyboard
inputs it might be helpful you can get it at
http://kbde.sf.net

Miephos:

You have to do 2 basic things: Select and load an lirc
driver
appropriate
to the IR receiver hardware, and then configure lirc
to work with the
remote you have.  The first thing obviously has to do
with the tuner
device while the other has purely to do with your
specific remote.

This probably isn't going to be very helpful, but...

1. Go to LIRC web site and download their tarball.
You want to use
version 0.7.0 or later.

2. Expand it and follow the installation instructions
for setting it
up.
When you have to choose which lirc driver to use,
select the
"Hauppauge"
driver.  This is a module that will load into the
kernel to operate the
specific chip that exists in all PVR USB2 devices.
Actually it seems
that
all Hauppauge devices with IR reception capability
apparently use the
same
chip (unlike the situation with the tuner types).

3. After the driver module is build, just modprobe it
into the kernel.
At
this point, you should see messages from the pvrusb2
driver in the log
reporting that another I2C module has attached itself
to the driver.

4. At this point, the procedure to follow is no
different than for
anything other LIRC setup.  You need to get the lircd
daemon working
and
you need to configure it for all the remote(s) you
plan on using.  The
pvrusb2 driver snapshot includes an lirc config file
for the remote
usually packaged with the device, but if you have/want
to use a
different
remote then that's really outside the scope of the
driver.  But once
you've got the correct lirc kernel module installed
and attached to the
pvrusb2 driver then everything from this point forward
is "generic" and
is
purely an issue having to do with lirc.

The above might not be entirely accurate - the last
time I worked
through
this process was almost a year ago.  But I have
received multiple
reports
over time from others who say this all works as
expected.

If you substitute "ivtv" for "pvrusb2", then this same
procedure should
work for ivtv.  I point this out because there really
isn't anything
special that the pvrusb2 driver has to do beyond
making the device's
internal I2C bus visible to kernel I2C modules, which
it does.

If you use the Debian distro, the lirc sources are
also available as a
package there.  However I've found that the packaging
is pretty lousy,
so
I grabbed the upstream sources instead.

   -Mike

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Miephos wrote:

> Hi,
> You get the IR reciever working, thats perfect. I
don't get it
working. Can
> you send me a short howto what I have to do, that it
works.

> ~miephos
>
> Am Mittwoch, 18. Januar 2006 00:46 schrieb Jeff
Sadowski:
>> I was reading somewhere about some tv tuner cards
>> having both IR receivers and transmitters. I was
>> thinking of buying a usb IR transceiver that works
>> with linux but I wonder if maybe anyone knows if
the
>> pvrusb2 has a transmiter? I know I got it working
with