[pvrusb2] IR Question?

Miephos miephos at h3c.de
Sun Jan 22 04:55:22 CST 2006

Hi,
thank you for your answer, but I believe that I am to stupid. I grep the
source, compile and install it. But it does not work. I do the following in
detail:

1. download the source from lirc.org; newest version 0.8

2. untar the file and change into the new folder

3. PC-MIEPHOS: # ./setup.sh

4. at the dialog I chose at the driver configuration --> TV card --> Hauppauge
TV card (new I2C layer required) ?was that right?

5. then "Save configuration & run configure", it seems there was all OK
last lines of configure output

creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating drivers/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_atiusb/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_bt829/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_cmdir/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_dev/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_gpio/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_i2c/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_igorplugusb/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_imon/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_it87/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_mceusb/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_mceusb2/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_parallel/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_sasem/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_serial/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_sir/Makefile
creating drivers/lirc_streamzap/Makefile
creating daemons/Makefile
creating tools/Makefile
creating doc/Makefile
creating doc/man/Makefile
creating config.h

You will have to use the lirc_i2c kernel module.

Now enter 'make' and 'make install' to compile and install the package.

6. PC-MIEPHOS: # make && make install
all was OK, no warnings, no errors

7. now I try to modprobe the driver-module
PC-MIEPHOS: # modprobe lirc_i2c
now I look in the /var/log/messages and there stand:
Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: lirc_i2c: module not supported by Novell,
setting U taint flag.
Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 i2c_attach [client=Hauppauge IR @
0x18 ctxt=ce78c9a0]
Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin:
sample_rate: 10
Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 Probed: ctxt=ce78c9a0 ctl_mask=0x2f
Hauppauge IR @ 0x18 [v4l2_standard v4l2_bcsh v4l2_volume v4l2_freq v4l2_size]
Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 i2c v4l2 set_standard(1)
Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 i2c v4l2 set_bcsh b=128 c=68 s=64
h=0
Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 i2c v4l2 set_volume(vol=59637 bal=0
bas=0 treb=0 mute=1)
Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 i2c v4l2 set_freq(319250000)
Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 i2c v4l2 set_size(720x576)

So I do not know whether the dedection was correct or not, because of the
first line "module not supported by Novel..."

some more information:
PC-MIEPHOS: # lsmod | grep i2c
lirc_i2c               14084  0
lirc_dev               18548  1 lirc_i2c
i2c_algo_bit           13320  3 cx88xx,ivtv,bttv
i2c_i801               12812  0
i2c_core               25344  11
lirc_i2c,cx88xx,bttv,i2c_algo_bit,tda9887,saa7115,msp3400,tuner,pvrusb2,ivtv_tveeprom,i2c_i801

I only use the pvrusb2.ko module from the driver nothing else. the rest are
implemented in the kernel. I have a default SuSE-smp-kernel.

PC-MIEPHOS:~ # uname -a
Linux PC-MIEPHOS 2.6.13-15-smp #1 SMP Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

Have anyone a idea? I want to get the ir-remote running but i do not know how.
I think, I do all right.

~miephos