[pvrusb2] IR Question?

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 11:24:58 CST 2006

Ok it looks to me your all setup for lirc like I was
saying earlier lircs docs are f***d so hers my first
attempt :-P

mknod /dev/lirc c 61 0

then I keep a copy of the node in /etc/udev/devices/

mknod /etc/udev/devices/lirc c 61 0

so it is recreated on startup :-)

ok now for making sure your remote is working

irrecord test.lirc

then follow the instructions

if you see dots when you press the button you know its
working ;-)

I'm still learning lirc but this will let you know its
working.
I'll be back with more later good luck.

--- Miephos <miephos at h3c.de> wrote:

> [...]
> --> TV card --> Hauppauge
> TV card (new I2C layer required) ?was that right?
>
> 5. then "Save configuration & run configure", it
> seems there was all OK
> last lines of configure output
>
> creating ./config.status
> creating Makefile
> creating drivers/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_atiusb/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_bt829/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_cmdir/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_dev/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_gpio/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_i2c/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_igorplugusb/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_imon/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_it87/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_mceusb/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_mceusb2/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_parallel/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_sasem/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_serial/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_sir/Makefile
> creating drivers/lirc_streamzap/Makefile
> creating daemons/Makefile
> creating tools/Makefile
> creating doc/Makefile
> creating doc/man/Makefile
> creating config.h
>
> You will have to use the lirc_i2c kernel module.
>
> Now enter 'make' and 'make install' to compile and
> install the package.
>
> 6. PC-MIEPHOS: # make && make install
> all was OK, no warnings, no errors
>
> 7. now I try to modprobe the driver-module
> PC-MIEPHOS: # modprobe lirc_i2c
> now I look in the /var/log/messages and there stand:
> Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: lirc_i2c: module
> not supported by Novell,
> setting U taint flag.
> Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: lirc_i2c: chip
> found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
> Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2
> i2c_attach [client=Hauppauge IR @
> 0x18 ctxt=ce78c9a0]
> Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: lirc_dev:
> lirc_register_plugin:
> sample_rate: 10
> Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 Probed:
> ctxt=ce78c9a0 ctl_mask=0x2f
> Hauppauge IR @ 0x18 [v4l2_standard v4l2_bcsh
> v4l2_volume v4l2_freq v4l2_size]
> Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 i2c v4l2
> set_standard(1)
> Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 i2c v4l2
> set_bcsh b=128 c=68 s=64
> h=0
> Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 i2c v4l2
> set_volume(vol=59637 bal=0
> bas=0 treb=0 mute=1)
> Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 i2c v4l2
> set_freq(319250000)
> Jan 22 11:19:34 PC-MIEPHOS kernel: pvrusb2 i2c v4l2
> set_size(720x576)
>
> So I do not know whether the dedection was correct
> or not, because of the
> first line "module not supported by Novel..."
>
> some more information:
> PC-MIEPHOS: # lsmod | grep i2c
> lirc_i2c               14084  0
> lirc_dev               18548  1 lirc_i2c
> i2c_algo_bit           13320  3 cx88xx,ivtv,bttv

lirc_i2c,cx88xx,bttv,i2c_algo_bit,tda9887,saa7115,msp3400,tuner,pvrusb2,ivtv_tveeprom,i2c_i801

> [...]
> > theres a new program I found to use with LIRC
> called
> > kbde that can translate your remote codes directly
> > keyboard
> > inputs it might be helpful you can get it at
> > http://kbde.sf.net
> >

> > Miephos:
> >
> > You have to do 2 basic things: Select and load an
> lirc
> > driver
> > appropriate
> > to the IR receiver hardware, and then configure
> lirc
> > to work with the
> > remote you have.  The first thing obviously has to
> do
> > with the tuner
> > device while the other has purely to do with your
> > specific remote.
> >
> > This probably isn't going to be very helpful,
> but...
> >
> > 1. Go to LIRC web site and download their tarball.
> > You want to use
> > version 0.7.0 or later.
> >
> > 2. Expand it and follow the installation
> instructions
> > for setting it
> > up.
> > When you have to choose which lirc driver to use,
> > select the
> > "Hauppauge"
> > driver.  This is a module that will load into the
> > kernel to operate the
> > specific chip that exists in all PVR USB2 devices.
> > Actually it seems
> > that
> > all Hauppauge devices with IR reception capability
> > apparently use the
> > same
> > chip (unlike the situation with the tuner types).
> >
> > 3. After the driver module is build, just modprobe
> it
> > into the kernel.
> > At
> > this point, you should see messages from the
> pvrusb2
> > driver in the log
> > reporting that another I2C module has attached
> itself
> > to the driver.
> >
> > 4. At this point, the procedure to follow is no
> > different than for
> > anything other LIRC setup.  You need to get the
> lircd
> > daemon working
> > and
> > you need to configure it for all the remote(s) you
> > plan on using.  The
> > pvrusb2 driver snapshot includes an lirc config
> file
> > for the remote
> > usually packaged with the device, but if you
> have/want
> > to use a
> > different
> > remote then that's really outside the scope of the
> > driver.  But once
> > you've got the correct lirc kernel module
> installed
> > and attached to the
> > pvrusb2 driver then everything from this point

=== message truncated ===