[pvrusb2] IR Question?

Roger J. Allen rja at firkraag.rogera.net
Fri Jan 27 00:54:46 CST 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Miephos wrote:

> Thank you for your hint, but it doesn't help.

By the way, did you compile and install lirc from source into
/usr/local while you already have the SuSE lirc rpm installed in
/usr?  The link from /etc/init.d/lirc to /usr/sbin/rclirc is
something that the SuSE lirc rpm package creates.

(I did that years ago when I tried to install lirc from source.
I flailed around for weeks before someone pointed it out to me.)

Check if you have both /usr/local/sbin/lircd and /usr/sbin/lircd.

> Hier the problem
>
> I change the things mentioned in the howto
> /etc/sysconfig/lirc -  I change
> ## Type:        string
> ## Default:     ""
> #
> # use given driver
> #
> LIRCD_DRIVER="lirc_i2c"

No, lirc_i2c is a kernel module.  The howto mentioned something like:

LIRC_MODULE="lirc_i2c"

Without the /etc/sysconfig/lirc and /etc/init.d/lirc files, I will
guess that SuSE uses the "LIRCD_DRIVER" like:

lircd -H $LIRCD_DRIVER

In that case, try:
LIRCD_DRIVER="default"

With Fedora Core 4, I use:

LIRCD_OPTIONS=" -d /dev/lirc -o /dev/lircd -P /var/run/lircd.pid"

without the "-H' option but your SuSE system may not like these
options.

> So I want to start lirc, but there is an error.
>
> PC-MIEPHOS:/proc # rclirc start
> Starting lircd (/dev/lirc)Driver `lirc_i2c' not supported.
> Supported drivers:
>        alsa_usb
>        audio_alsa
>        bte
>        bw6130
>        creative
>        creative_infracd
>        default
>        dev/input
>        dsp
>        dvico
>        ea65
>        livedrive_midi
>        livedrive_seq
>        logitech
>        mp3anywhere
>        mouseremote
>        mouseremote_ps2
>        null
>        pcmak
>        pinsys
>        pixelview
>        silitek
>        tira
>        uirt2
>        uirt2_raw
> startproc:  exit status of parent of /usr/sbin/lircd: 1

The /usr/sbin/rclirc script tried to run /usr/sbin/lircd, while you
may have wanted it to use /usr/local/sbin/lircd.  It didn't like
"lirc_i2c" as an argument to the "-H" or "--driver=" option.

After my /etc/init.d/lirc runs, I get:

[root at firkraag ~]# ps auxw | grep lirc
root      3216  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    Jan26   0:00 [lirc_dev]
root      3221  0.0  0.0   1936   412 ?        Ss   Jan26   0:00 /usr/sbin/lircd -d /dev/lirc -o /dev/lircd -P /var/run/lircd.pid

>                                                                      failed
>
> Do I have to recompile lirc with oter options or so???

IF you have both rpm and compiled versions of lirc, then:

Try uninstalling the compiled version and configure the lirc from
the SuSE rpm.

Then if that fails, remove the lirc rpm and try to compile and
install the source.

--
Roger J. Allen                                     Voice:  (312)-587-0690
Internet: rja at rogera.net                             FAX:  (312)-587-0691