[pvrusb2] mythtv and pvrusb2

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jul 5 06:30:46 CDT 2006

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Renan Yson wrote:

> hi!
>
> i finally made my unit to work. thanks to all the help from this list,
> especially mike, whose been very helpful.
>
> but it still has some problems. this, i think is mythtv related, so if
> this is the wrong place to post this, i apologize in advance. but if
> anybody has similar experience and can throw me in the right
> direction, it'd be much appreciated.
>
> when i do:
>
> modprobe pvrusb2
>
> then use mplayer to view tv, everything works fine. i even tried this
> with xine and it's ok. however, when i try to use mythtv, the video
> shows something like a reddish/purple vertical band, and the image is
> zoomed in (probably 20-30% if i have to guess), so that the image
> appears clipped. if i exit mythfrontend and try mplayer, it remembers
> the previous state and the image shows the same bands and is zoomed
> in.
>
> i tried changing the deinterlace setting, without success.
>
> hope somebody can help me.
>
> thanks!
>
> renan

First, in about an hour I'll be heading out of town so I might not be able
to reply again until Sunday night.  In case someone else would like to
jump in here...

Which snapshot are you running?

After mythtv runs, examine the vertical & horizontal resolution settings
(ctl_resolution_hor and ctl_resolution_ver) for the driver.  For NTSC
these will start off as 720x480, but I wonder if MythTV might be messing
those up.  I bring this up because a recent change to the driver causes it
to obey the VIDIOC_S_FMT command which sets the resolution, and there has
been one other report where really whacked values for the resolution
(different app than MythTV in that case) results in an unwatchable picture
similar to what you are describing.

If the resolution looks wrong, then there are 2 things you can try.
First, try going into MythTV's settings and change the capture resolution
to 720x480.  Failing that, then fall back to the 20060607 snapshot, which
was the last snapshot before this change was made - AND please tell me
about this so when I return on Sunday I can look at this situation again.