[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20060625

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jun 27 20:18:19 CDT 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, xavier.gnata at free.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> *great* news. I gonna to compile a 2.6.18 git or rc1 as soon as possbile :)
> Very good job (but I have no time to test in during hours :( ;))
>
> one point : xawtv4 is not dead because kernel merging implies sys interface drop
> (correct me if needed). So, xawtv is the only project able to take avantage of

Why would kernel merging rules result in dropping the sysfs interface?
My understanding is that the kernel developers want to eventually kill
ioctl() (and certainly discourage any further extensions using it) and
that the more explicit, compatible, and self-documenting means of using
sysfs was supposed to be its replacement.  Maybe I misread this.  I've
been misreading a lot lately :-(

> pvrusb2. Ok, mythtv is great but mythtv is not done to watch tv in a small
> windows left-top-corner of the screen. GNU/Linux really needs a modern and
> fully V4L2 TV apps (tvtime is a great when you do not deal with mepg2).

MythTV should in theory not need any tweaks via sysfs in order to work.
Sure there are sysfs things one might want to do to improve matters, but
nothing required.  By the way, this new driver snapshot should correctly
honor requested video resolution from the V4L2 app now.  So...  If you say
"640x480" in MythTV then that's what you should get.  I have not tested
this however.  Anyone want to try it?

> Ok, I'm on the wrong list ;)

:-)

Rumor has it that ivtv will appear in kernel 2.6.19, but don't quote me on
that :-)