[pvrusb2] driver supported video standards

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jun 27 20:27:53 CDT 2006

Roughly 3 months ago I implemented new logic in the driver to more
carefully deal with video standards.  Previously the driver basically just
hardcoded a list of supported standards based apparently on all possible
device hardare variants.  Then I changed things to choose appropriate
supported video standards based on what is in the device's eeprom.  The
driver also augmented that list in a few cases which I think maybe one
person here has hit (and which I suspect may have been wrong).

I have learned tonight that the tveeprom module which generates this info
is "known" to be wrong, that it is missing stuff and apparently should not
be relied upon for this information.  Before I do anything about this, I
need to know something from all of you:

Has anyone here had to override the list of available video standards?
I'm _not_ talking about if the driver chooses a "wrong" default choice -
e.g. if the driver chooses PAL-B/G among a list of PAL-B/G and SECAM-L
when you wanted SECAM-L.

I'm talking about cases where for example the driver tells you that it can
only do NTSC-M & NTSC-Mj when in fact you need PAL-M.  It's possible to
override this as a module option, but AFAIK this really hasn't been an
issue.  Perhaps it's been a problem for some and nobody has spoken up
about it.  So has anyone had to override the list of available video
standards?  (If you don't know what I'm asking about then your answer to
that question would probably be "no".)