[pvrusb2] Success with Fedora Core 5 test 3

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Mar 18 11:09:23 CST 2006

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, M Reid wrote:

> Great driver Mike!
>
> I bought my PVR USB2 in late December specifically because this driver
> seemed to function well enough, and because I needed a tuner that was
> easily portable between PCs and my tablet PC.
>
> I previously had this running on Fedora Core 4 on a 3 year old ASUS SIS
> based motherboard with USB 1.1. It took some manual fiddling with the
> V4L modules and occasionally the video appeared to flash briefly (USB
> 1.1?) but it worked reasonably reliably. I have had to power down and up
> the tuner sometimes though.

USB 1.1 shouldn't cause a problem like that, since it still has enough
bandwidth to handle one PVR USB2 (and several people here are using it
that way).

Anyone else seen behavior like this?

> I'm happy to report success with Fedora Core 5 test 3 now. I had to fool
> KBuild into thinking the kernel version was 2.6.16 though; FC5 reports
> kernel as 2.6.15-1. I also had to comment out 3 lines of one of the V4L
> headers.

That's because the driver uses various kernel and V4L APIs that have
changed over time.  The only way to adapt to that is with #if's keyed by
kernel version.  However that scheme breaks down when a distro backports
API-changing features from newer kernels (or newer V4L versions) into
older kernels.  There isn't much that a driver can really do about stuff
like, so the best you can do is pretty much what you've done.  FYI, all
testing and development I do here is with vanilla kernels from kernel.org.

> I think FC5 final will be released Monday and will be kernel 2.6.16.
>
> I have this running MythTV on an MSI Nvidia 6100 based motherboard.
> Everything seems to work OK after the expected fiddling around including
> LIRC. I may still have the occasional flash on the screen; I'll monitor.
>
> I'm going to try this out with Core 5 final on an MSI Nvidia 6150 based
> board next. I'll use a PVR-350 in addition because I must have closed
> caption support. Please consider adding closed caption.
>
> Thanks for all your hard work on the driver!

If you privately e-mail me the model info on the white sticker underneath
I'll add it to the tally of all the different models out there (which
will be included in the next snapshot).  Look at a recent previous thread
on the list for examples of what the model info looks like.