[pvrusb2] back-end application

xavier.gnata@free.fr xavier.gnata at free.fr
Tue Nov 7 14:41:09 CST 2006

> > Hi,
> >
> > Just to say that lastest snapshot of xawtv4 does not compile anymore on
> debian
> > sid. It use to compile fine using ./autogen ./configure && make && make
> install
> > This is due to a large libquicktime API update.
> > One way to make it compile again is to remove (or maybe disable??) this
> piece of
> > code.
> > Unfortunatly, xawtv4 is almost dead because it has be orphaned.
> > I have send several patch to make it compile until this libquicktime API
> change.
> > Afaics, xawtv4 code needs a complete review and is probably going to be
> broken
> > quite often in a near futur :(
>
> Wow, sorry to hear this.

So am I :(. I have posted on several forums about this pb without any concrete
answer.
I can see two solutions:
1) Find a small team continue the work on xawtv4. It is not too late.
2) tvtime! This software is just great *but* the maintainer said he is *not*
going 'to transform it into an mpeg player'. Well, V4L2 is *the* video norm in
linux kernel and, at this day, only xawtv4 try to handle the whole norm :(

pvrusb2 is great but we really need a good (read also small ;)) application to
watch tv on linux.

Could we post again on the tvtime list ? There is really a point to add mpeg
support in tvtime but we need people asking for this support on the mailling
list.

Using mplayer and a python/qt script to write in /sys is a not solution for a
'standard' user :(

Any comments?

Xavier