[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20061003

roger roger at eskimo.com
Thu Oct 5 02:00:20 CDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 22:48 +0300, ervins at latnet.lv wrote:
> > > cat: /dev/v4l/video0: Input/output error
> >
> > How reproducible is this?
> >
> > Generally if streaming works for even a few seconds it should work
> > forever, or at least until some outside event happens (e.g. channel
> > change, power glitch to the device, etc...).  I ran it streaming once for
> > 26 hours without a break.
> >
>   It happens every time, just the time interval changes. The longest I had a run
> of  ~2.5 hours. As allways, when you sit and watch it - it works, when you turn
> your eyes away - it breaks. :) I usually set digital tv box to output the
> channel I want to record to PVRs composite and then just 'cat' the stream to
> file without touching anything. I run cat command in "screen" so I can
> disconnect from ssh. Later I ssh back and check if stream is still recording.
> Strangely enough my feeling is that when I watch mythtv and record it happens a
> lot less.... could it be that mythtv is recovering automatically? _or_ could it
> be that I'm using VBR?

Just to drop a few notes here.

I use mythtv rather then any shell script incantation.  I'm not too bad
at shell scripting either I might add.  But mythtv is getting to be
rather stable and dummy proof to the point even this dummy is having
fewer problems with! :-)

Besides, it has an online "tv guide" pvr style database so recording is
as easy as clicking on the show to record.  Some of the recording
options are somewhat trivial for beginners still as well as some setup
options.

> > There's a debug module option you can set.  It is a bit mask; there are
> > lots of bits you can set, generally in increasing order of noise in the
> > log.  Rather than repeat all the info here, the details can be found on
> > this page:
> >
> > http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html#Logging

If this helps, I usually use something like this:
insmod /lib/module/path/to/pvrusb2.ko debug=10
--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html

Thu Oct 5 00:00:19 PDT 2006