[pvrusb2] pvr-firmware (Gentoo) & Lirc Support

roger roger at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 3 17:51:20 CST 2007

Think I've just realized, the reason why I'm seeing lirc not working
(ie. not making device /etc/lirc/0 as such, not finding pvrusb2 IR
device) is possibly rooted back to the pvr-firmwares.

On a yesterdays reboot into winxp yesterday, I fiddled and powered-on my
pvrusb2 device under winxp.  Then rebooted into Linux and noticed
a /dev/lirc/0 device was present.  On cold boot of the pvrusb2 device,
no more /dev/lirc/0 device.

argh.   Well, the problem either lies in the firmwares are lirc, I'm
betting it's the firmwares being provided on Gentoo's pvr-firmwares
ebuild:

Homepage:
http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Firmware

Source of binary firmwares:
http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/firmware/firmware-${PV}.tar.gz

So consider this an FYI to you other Gentoo users (or users of ivtv
provided firmwares) and if you're wondering about Lirc support as
well. :-/

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html