[pvrusb2] pvr-firmware (Gentoo) & Lirc Support

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Feb 4 13:29:28 CST 2007

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, roger wrote:

> Think I've just realized, the reason why I'm seeing lirc not working
> (ie. not making device /etc/lirc/0 as such, not finding pvrusb2 IR
> device) is possibly rooted back to the pvr-firmwares.
>
> On a yesterdays reboot into winxp yesterday, I fiddled and powered-on my
> pvrusb2 device under winxp.  Then rebooted into Linux and noticed
> a /dev/lirc/0 device was present.  On cold boot of the pvrusb2 device,
> no more /dev/lirc/0 device.
>
> argh.   Well, the problem either lies in the firmwares are lirc, I'm
> betting it's the firmwares being provided on Gentoo's pvr-firmwares
> ebuild:
>
> Homepage:
> http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Firmware
>
> Source of binary firmwares:
> http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/firmware/firmware-${PV}.tar.gz
>

> So consider this an FYI to you other Gentoo users (or users of ivtv
> provided firmwares) and if you're wondering about Lirc support as
> well. :-/

Roger:

If you can provably show this problem to be happening, that would be
very helpful.  In other words, do a controlled test, changing only the
firmware file and power cycling the PVR USB2 device each time.  Note
that you MUST power cycle the device in order for the driver to load the
FX2 firmware (otherwise the FX2 firmware is already loaded and won't be
reloaded by the driver).

One you know which firmware images work versus which ones don't work,
then post the MD5 sum of each non-working firmware image.  The
fwextract.pl program keys off of the MD5 sums so we can use that as a
key to identify where the firmware image ultimately has come from.

Also, the only firmware that should matter (if at all) would be the FX2
firmware.  The encoder has nothing to do with IR.  In addition, for a
29xxx device the IR receiver is just another I2C device so I would not
expect it to be affected at all by the FX2 firmware.  However for 24xxx
devices, the IR receiver is a custom thing that is directly operated by
the FX2 so in that case I would expect the FX2 firmware image to have an
impact.