[pvrusb2] automatic frequency scanning / ghosting

Tamas K Papp tpapp at Princeton.EDU
Sun Jan 28 05:21:56 CST 2007

Hi,

It appears that my cable provider uses a non-standard frequency table.
Is it possible to scan for the channels somehow (without mythtv)?
When using ivtv-tune to set the frequency, it tells me if there is a
signal detected.  However, a signal is detected at +- .5 Mhz the
original frequency (with degratation of picture quality at the
endpoints).  How could one tune automatically using the pvrusb2
device?  Would taking the midpoints of the range where a signal is
detected be a viable approach?  I would be happy to write code/scripts
but need advice on what to do.

One of the channels has mild ghosting, eg

http://www.princeton.edu/~tpapp/ghost.png
(B'Ellana's face is ghosted over Seven)

can that be the result of a misspecified frequency?  The picture is
perfect on TV.

Thanks,

Tamas