[pvrusb2] FAQ addendum for 4:3 recording resolutions

Rod Smith rodsmith at rodsbooks.com
Sun Mar 11 12:35:27 CDT 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 07:28, roger wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 01:46 -0600, Mike Isely wrote:
> > Try this: Use the sysfs interface to change the aspect ratio.  Don't
> > change the resolution; there's a separate control for the aspect ratio
> > (ctl_video_aspect).  Observe the results in mplayer...
>
> Yes.  Most times mplayer and other video players will correctly stretch
> the video to fill the screen, but I'm noticing on some broadcasts,
> especially on Channel 12 playing an oldie but favorite, I will get a
> black bar on the right when recording 720x480.  Recording 640x480 gets
> rid of the borders when playing with mplayer, etc.

Are you using MythTV? If so, have you by any chance set the option to use a
custom video resolution based on the recording resolution? If this is the
case, the black bar you're seeing could be caused by the playback video
resolution for 720x480 producing a slightly smaller image than the playback
resolution(s) you use for other recording resolutions.

Rod Smith, rodsmith at rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com