[pvrusb2] FAQ addendum for 4:3 recording resolutions

roger roger at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 13 03:08:56 CDT 2007

Right. I'm recording with Mythtv.  Although recording at 720x480 on most
channels, just on a few I get a noticable black bar on the right side.

I finally found out lately via a brief search on google, 720x480 is not
a true 4x3 (or 1.33:1) compatible resolution.  640x480 is.

So I set Mythtv to record at a custom resolution at 640x480, and the
black bar on the right side is gone.  I'm guessing this has to do with
what kind of signal the broadcasting station is broadcasting and what
Comcast does to convert it to an analog cable signal.  Most other
channels such as Discovery don't appear to exhibit this except for maybe
a thing black border on either the right or left side.

Maybe you'll see this also on TVLand channel as well, because it's
broadcasting some older show formats as well.

Anyways, I can send Mike clippings, but I'm just going to kick back and
relax and see what my recordings look like this friday when the same
show is recorded at 640x480.. pretty sure it's providing a better
picture.

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html