[pvrusb2] change-channel.sh.diff - Correct with find and syntax

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Nov 4 07:28:10 CST 2007

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, roger wrote:

> Please accept the attached patch for utils/change-channel.sh
>
> The following changes have been made:
>
> - Fixed complaint from "find" concerning arg type stated before mindepth
> and maxdepth args.  Now rearranged into a more proper ordering of
> maxdepth, mindepth, type effectively silencing the complaint.
>
> - Added quotes around echo statements providing better syntax especially
> when viewing the script within a text editor.

I will examine this and roll it into the next snapshot (probably later
today or tonight).  Thanks for your work on it.

> Additional notes:
>
> 1) How about using "locate" to find xawtv related files and using a
> variable for preference of file name omitting ".list"?
>
> ie.
>
> FREQ="ntsc-cable"
> or
> FREQ="pal-bcast-cn"
>
> 2) Maybe a simple conversion of "/bin/sh" to "/bin/bash"?
>
> 3) Using $HOME variable for just using /root/.tv/freqs since it's
> requiring root access.  Even using sudo, the script is just going to
> look in /root/.tv/ anyways?  (This gets rid of the static anonymous user
> at the top of the file and could also test & mkdir the config file.)
>
> 4) After all this, this omits users whom don't have xawtv installed as a
> dependency.  A solution is needed for those whom simply uncompress xawtv
> to their home folder. (ie. copy over this preferred freq file to .tv)
>

> Do I remember correctly & hear sysfs is going to be no longer used?  If
> so, ignore my ramblings and just take the patch. Also, see mplayer is
> very close to being able to changing channels using it's -tv and -tvscan
> options.

Not a chance!  It's just too useful.  I rely on it for lots of debugging
work.

What has happened is that the kernel's mechanism for implementing
/sys/class entries has changed.  It actually changed a while ago but the
"old" method had been kept for backwards compatibility.  The old method
however is going away soon.  There have been recent changes to the
pvrusb2 driver so that the sysfs interface continues to function with
the new method.  This change has also been the source of some new bugs
too :-(

The in-v4l version of the pvrusb2 driver only supports the new method
now, so you can't use that with kernels older than roughly 2.6.18.
However the standalone kernel has *both* methods implemented in separate
source files and the file to use is selected at compilation time.  So it
should continue to be backwards & forwards compatible with all the
usual known kernel versions.