[pvrusb2] Lirc not creating /dev/lirc0!

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Mar 9 13:35:47 CDT 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, roger wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 08:37 -0600, Mike Isely wrote:
> >
> > You might try unloading the pvrusb2 driver and reloading it (i.e.
> > "modprobe -r pvrusb2; modprobe pvrusb2").  That should cause everything
> > to reinitialize and clean up any messes left by a suspend.
>
> Think so too.  But doing so, seems to reinitialize everything, but
> doesn't help lirc at all.  I'm guessing it's something to do with USB.

I don't agree with USB being a factor.

We are dealing with multiple layers here.  There's the physical layer
which is the USB wire and the packets themselves.  Then there's a link
layer on top where the various logical pipes are multiplexed together.
The Linux USB core handles all of that.  Above that (running in one of
the pipes) we have an RPC layer in the driver, where the driver sends
commands to the device (to the FX2 microcontroller) and gets responses.
Above that is an I2C layer, where I2C traffic is transferred in terms of
these RPC operations.  And then above that layer is the IR receiver
traffic, moving over I2C.

So, if IR isn't working but the driver is otherwise able to talk to the
device, then clearly all the layers up to and include I2C have to be
healthy.  If you can capture video then everything EXCEPT the IR has to
be working properly for that to happen.  So this would

> USB is known in the past to have hiccups with Hibernate
> (Suspend2/TuxOnIce).  (Duh... just really starting to think on this
> one!)

I'm beginning to think that suspend/resume is a red herring here, at
least for the pvrusb2 driver.  If you power cycle the device and IR
*still* doesn't work then either the LIRC driver is having problems or
you've got failing hardware.  Given that you said this used to work and
only recently has gotten flakey, then that's another hint that the IR
receiver might be failing.

isely @ pobox (dot) com