[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 timeout?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Nov 8 15:05:12 CST 2008

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008, Dan Bodoh wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
>
> > When you first raised this issue, the behavior was due to seemingly
> > permanent stalls in the streaming (as opposed to very short transient
> > pauses).  That's a real problem but honestly unless the transmitting
> > station goes off the air, the signal is otherwise disrupted, or the
> > device gets spontaneously reset, then this should not ever happen.
>
> Well, the stall is not "permanent".  It fails to start streaming when
> Mythtv starts a recording.  Since mythtv keeps doing select() if it
> reaches the 5-second timeout, many times it will finally succeed 30-40
> minutes after the first attempt, and then I get the remaining stream
> without a problem.  Once it starts streaming, it never dies.  This
> behaviour just doesn't make much sense to me if viewed as a power
> glitch.

If you can find a way to reliably reproduce the issue it may be useful
to also try to reproduce it using an app other than mythtv, e.g. mplayer
or vlc.

> What I decided to do was stick with the current ubuntu driver, and set
> debug=65535 for the module.  Hopefully I'll get it to die again...

Be careful with those debug settings.  Some of them generate A LOT of
log messages - some classes of debug info generate messages as a direct
result of the data flowing through the device, so not only will those
cause the logs to fill up but such debug settings may also slow the
driver down enough to impact the validity of what you are testing.  If
you look in the source at pvrusb2-debug.h you can find rough definitions
for each bit in the mask.

isely @ pobox (dot) com