[pvrusb2] driver status / update

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jan 14 08:51:01 CST 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> >> Well it's not completely done yet, but there is something to try if
> >> anyone is interested.  Here's a v4l-dvb repository that in theory should
> >> be fully working:
> >>
> >> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mcisely/pvrusb2
> >>
> >> It includes 6 new changesets, one of which is the fix to allow the
> >> cx25840 module to work again with the pvrusb2 driver.
> >
> > Urgh. That's embarrassing. I replaced my cx25840-based ivtv card with a
> > zoran card recently, so I only tested it with my saa7115-based PVR350.
> > That's why I never noticed it :-(
>
> Nope, the reason is that it works fine with converted drivers like ivtv,
> but not for old drivers (i.e. all others). And I didn't test this
> particular case with other drivers (I actually just found this same bug
> when I was converting saa7134).
>
> Can you fast-track this fix? Or shall I do this? It must be sent on to
> 2.6.29 asap as well as this is a rather big regression...

I was going to wait until tonight (12 hours away) when I could beat on
the changes thoroughly.  However the other pvrusb2 bits are low risk, so
I'm testing it right now before heading to work and will post the pull
request shortly afterwards.

Hmm, audio isn't working.  I just also tried a 29xxx (with
saa7115+msp3400) and audio is OK there, so there's still something else
apparently broken involving the pvrusb2 driver and cx25840.  However
this whole thing still is an improvement over what's there now so I'm
posting the pull request anyway.  I will do more digging on the audio
problem tonight.

isely @ pobox (dot) com