[pvrusb2] race

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Jul 11 12:51:35 CDT 2009

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009, Geoff Huber wrote:

> Mike,

> I am only using my PVR-USB for the IR receiver since going to HD.
> Prior to that I had been using it to record and for IR for years with
> no problems.  When I upgraded to Mythbuntu 9.04 I had a new problem
> where it looks like I have a race with LIRC as when the machine boots
> up now, I do not have IR unless I unplug the device and plug it back
> in after the boot is over.  Then IR works.
>
> So simple question....  how should I go about changing it to "I think"
> boot later in the boot process so that LIRC is done initializing.
> (I'm not sure who should start first or where to change it)

It's not very easy to control initialization order of modules within the
kernel - that is all driven internally, e.g. the pvrusb2 driver gets
initialized when the hardware is detected and the hardware is detected
soon after the USB controller's host driver is loaded.

However LIRC is driven by a userspace daemon that is started via init.
I think mythbuntu uses rc-style init scripts.  Given this, then you
could probably arrange for LIRC's userspace daemon to start up later.
Initialization order of stuff handled by rc-style init scripts is done
via symbolic links in /etc/rc?.d directories.  You'll need to understand
that to fix the ordering.  Anyone else encounter / work around this?