[pvrusb2] Poor analog picture on HVR-1950 after upgrade to 2.6.28 kernel

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Jun 8 15:25:01 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 13:16 -0400, fivenote wrote:

> I then downloaded and compiled the "in-V4L" version of the driver from
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb per Mike's instructions at
> http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/setup.html#Compilation under the heading
> "Compilation and installation of the in-V4L driver".

After browsing the v4l-dvb cvs "manifest", pvrusb2 is included, however,
I'm not sure how old it is?  I would imagine you could simply grab the
current snapshot from Mike's site and it should play nicely along side
the downloaded v4l-dvb code... or it should.

But from what I'm seeing, if I'm using the kernel-2.6.29* and this is
comprised of the v4l-dvb tree, then I too should be seeing the same bug
as you're describing.

Unless, you using the analog tuner or digital tuner and you are using
PAL (not NTSC as I am)?

Also, feel free to send me a very short video clip, or attach one to the
thread here. (Or you could send one directly to me to rule-out your
video players for kicks.)

> Going back to last year when I initially setup my hvr-1950, Mike and
> some other developers worked it out in the
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb tree and some subtrees. I know it's not
> as current as the standalone drive from his site, but that's where
> I've been getting my pvrusb2 upgrades.
>
> I noticed Hauppage has an upgraded http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb on
> their site dataed around Jan 2010. Could it be I need the latest
> firmware from Windows driver?

You could try this as well.  I did. the pvrusb2 perl extract script
easily grabs the latest firmwares, too.  But I doubt it's the cause...
but you never know.

> -vincent

I'm guessing from what you are saying, Mike already knows the problem,
and if he had time, he'd probably be able to fix this puppy right
up. :-/

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org