[pvrusb2] pvrusb2-dev-0c73d0aa725b

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jun 10 22:35:15 CDT 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Martin Dauskardt wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> > This fits with the symptoms you are describing - with the older v4l-dvb
> > snapshot you tried the pvrusb2 driver still talked to the chip-level
> > drivers the "old way" which we know still works.  But with the current
> > v4l-dvb repository the pvrusb2 driver only includes the code for the new
> > sub-device mechanism.  Thus the breakage.
>
> remember: using the current hg with a 2.6.27 kernel did work!
> Is the sub-device mechanism a v4l2-only stuff? Then I guess all changes are in
> drivers/media/...  which are all in the hg. Therefore  I think that even
> using it with a 2.6.27, it would use the new sub-device mechanism.

Good point.

Yes, the sub-device mechanism itself is contained within v4l-dvb.  But
there may be other bits of v4l-dvb which don't get enabled unless
compiled against a later kernel.

The fact that all I had to do in the pvrusb2 standalone driver was to
switch away from sub-device binding and back to the old way is very
close to a smoking gun here.

> Supposed the problem is related to the subdev changes, then it seems that this
> combination (all v4l2 stuff from hg, but kernel older than 2.6.29) uses the
> old way. But why?

Yes, this needs to be understood further.  This bug is very high on my
to-do list right now.  It's just that unfortunately I've not been able
to do any pvrusb2 work for the past 2 weeks.  Thus no progress here
either.

> Are there any dependencies to kernel files outside drivers/media/... ?

None that I can think of which would factor into this problem...

At this point I expect to have a good chunk of Friday to work this issue
(along with a few other pvrusb2 issues).  I've actually been getting
caught back up on things since last weekend.