[pvrusb2] Poor analog picture on HVR-1950 after upgrade to 2.6.28 kernel

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jun 10 23:31:54 CDT 2009

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, fivenote wrote:

> Roger,
>
> After upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04, I was using the in-kernel pvrusb2
> driver. That's when I first noticed the problem (worked fine in Ubuntu
> 8.10, kernel 2.6.27).
>
> I then downloaded and compiled the "in-V4L" version of the driver from
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb per Mike's instructions at
> http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/setup.html#Compilation under the heading
> "Compilation and installation of the in-V4L driver".
>
> Going back to last year when I initially setup my hvr-1950, Mike and
> some other developers worked it out in the
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb tree and some subtrees. I know it's not
> as current as the standalone drive from his site, but that's where
> I've been getting my pvrusb2 upgrades.

At this point in time, the standalone driver and what's in v4l-dvb are
pretty much in sync.  There's actually a few minor fixes in v4l-dvb that
are not in the lastest standalone snapshot (because they trickled in
from other developers on the v4l-dvb side) but they are trivial.  I've
already (as of tonight) merged those changes back to my svn repository
and they will be in the next standalone snapshot.  But right now there's
no rush for this, so for purposes of this issue it's the same driver.

The main difference between the v4l-dvb resident version of the driver
and the standalone driver is that the standlone driver has a lot of
extra stuff to work in various different kernel environments none of
which is needed in v4l-dvb.

> I noticed Hauppage has an upgraded http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb on
> their site dataed around Jan 2010. Could it be I need the latest
> firmware from Windows driver?

Jan 2010 has not happened yet :-)

As for the rest of that sentence, I don't understand it.

As for the firmware, I'm thinking right now that this is something going
on with the cx25840 - that's the chip which digitizes the analog signal.
And if there are cropping / aspect ratio issues, in the past that's been
the epicenter of the problem.  This chip does indeed have firmware, but
I can't recall any firmware updates over the past few years that could
have an effect as dramatic as this.

Note in your screenshot that it's not just being clipped on the right.
The image is stretched too.  It looks like mplayer is trying to treat it
as a 16x9 image that's been clipped into a 4x3 window.  And I swear this
was something I saw a few years ago...