[pvrusb2] cx25840 video scaler is broken [was: Poor analog picture on HVR-1950 after upgrade...]

Nicholas Robbins nickrobbins at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 09:55:04 CDT 2009

--- On Sat, 6/13/09, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:

> It's even stranger that nobody noticed this until now -
> HVR-1950 was
> declared supported well over a year ago.  But likely
> most people using
> the HVR-1950 are probably only running it in digital mode
> and thus don't
> get hit by this.  Or maybe others have independantly
> figured out that
> 720 works and just haven't bothered to warn me about
> it.

>   -Mike
>

> --

I use it only in analog mode through mythtv. The wiki at mythtv.org points to this:

http://sray.squidpower.com/2009/02/18/hauppauge-wintv-hvr-1950-on-linux-mythbuntu-mythtv-analog-digital-video-including-s-video-and-composite-inputs/

which has this to say about the resolution.

 5. (if the video looks really bad in mythfrontend):
         1. Utilities/Setup
         2. Setup
         3. TV Settings
         4. Recording Profiles
         5. MPEG-2 Encoders (PVR-x50, PVR-500)
         6. for Live TV, Default, High Quality, Low Quality
               1. Change Width to 720
               2. Change Height to 480

So I think other people knew about the bug, but were fine with the workaround.