[pvrusb2] cx25840 video scaler is broken [was: Poor analog picture on HVR-1950 after upgrade...]

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Jun 14 16:05:16 CDT 2009

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Nicholas Robbins wrote:

   [...]

> I use it only in analog mode through mythtv. The wiki at mythtv.org points to this:
>
> http://sray.squidpower.com/2009/02/18/hauppauge-wintv-hvr-1950-on-linux-mythbuntu-mythtv-analog-digital-video-including-s-video-and-composite-inputs/
>
> which has this to say about the resolution.
>
>  5. (if the video looks really bad in mythfrontend):
>          1. Utilities/Setup
>          2. Setup
>          3. TV Settings
>          4. Recording Profiles
>          5. MPEG-2 Encoders (PVR-x50, PVR-500)
>          6. for Live TV, Default, High Quality, Low Quality
>                1. Change Width to 720
>                2. Change Height to 480
>
> So I think other people knew about the bug, but were fine with the workaround.

I was unaware of that blob.  But yes this is an example of others
figuring out how to work around it.  The next standalone snapshot is
definitely going to fix this problem, hopefully for good.  And I expect
the same changes to get into v4l-dvb and then the 2.6.31 kernel.  A
patch for a 2.6.30 kernel maintenance release might be more iffy.

Too bad I didn't realize the problem until only 2 days ago.