[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 - bad video quality

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Mar 31 09:20:53 CDT 2009

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, stan schultz wrote:

> Sorry about the huge files.. I must admit I am kind of at a loss for some of
> the parameters.  But I did dump "all" of the parameters.  I am hooked up to
> "Plain Analog Cable".  Nothing exciting.  All Tv's and the cablemodem seem
> to work fine, so I doubt that it is a signal problem.  Here are the
> parameters:

   [...]

> ./ctl_video_standard/cur_val NTSC-M

This one says that the device is running in NTSC mode with 60Hz timing.
That's correct if you are in the USA using over-the-air or analog cable.
It won't be correct for most of the rest of the world.  Though since you
are using an HVR-1950 I have to think that you probably are in an NTSC
area, right?

I can't tell from your e-mail address where you are so I don't know if
NTSC-M is correct for you.

If you cat ctl_video_standard/enum_val, you'll get a list of possible
legal values for cur_val.

   [...]

Another possibility is your frequency table.  You mentioned "cable".
The driver doesn't know anything about mapping channels to frequencies -
that is something the app (e.g. MythTV) must do.  In the case of
mplayer, you need to directly input the frequency via the sysfs
interface.  The driver defaults the current frequency to US over-the-air
channel 7, which I use for debugging, but it may not be correct in
mplayer for your setup.

isely @ pobox (dot) com