[pvrusb2] AVerMedia HC80 AVerTV Hybrid ExpressCard/54 support?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Apr 14 20:49:20 CDT 2010

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Bill Paxton wrote:

> --- On Tue, 4/13/10, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
>
> > (BTW, do you have a URL that points to the vendor's product page for
> > this device?)
>
> My bad. Certainly!
>
> Here's the link from AVerMedia's site:
> http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=137
>
> And the 2-sheet barker in PDF format:
> http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/Upload/ProductImages/AVerTV%20Hybrid%20ExpressCard(HC80).pdf

Thanks.  That helps.

> > Question: Is this device purely a tuner or does it have additional
> > analog inputs?  For example are there composite or s-video inputs
> > available?  Is so, then it is possible to break down the porting effort
> > somewhat
>
> Cool. Because yes, it has the "usual"... composite input, SVid input,
> stereo RCA input, FM tuner, IR receiver - actually 2, one on each
> side, since laptop slots can vary which side of the computer they are
> on. The ATSC/FM antennas connect via the standard micro coax type
> connectors. There's an RG-type adapter for cable or rooftop HDTV
> antenna. The composite/svid/audio is on a breakout header.
>

> All those defines I put in because the ICs do reside on the device.

That's fine for the defines that already exist.  But there's probably
more work needed here.

> Hmm, to add some visual arts to this, here's the top of the HC80 when I dissected it: (notice the dual IR receivers)
> http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/8163/hc80dissected1200x1100.jpg

Nice job.  And yes a picture in this case is worth 10000 words :-)

> > I'm not totally convinced yet that the I2C bus is working.  But that
> > i2cscan=1 experiment would probably prove the case.
>
> [root at lappy]# modprobe pvrusb2 i2c_scan=1
>
> pvrusb2_a: i2c scan beginning
> pvrusb2_a: i2c scan: found device @ 0x44
> pvrusb2_a: i2c scan: found device @ 0x51
> pvrusb2_a: i2c scan done.
>
> Does this help or hurt?

Uh, yeah.  That helps immensely.  Congratulations, the FX2 is already
operating (the FX2 firmware is required for I2C transactions to work
properly).  Assuming that you didn't first start the device from
Windows, then yes it is able to load its FX2 firmware from its own local
ROM.

The 0x51 device is very likely your local ROM (the FX2 has enough
built-in smarts to bootstrap from a locally connected I2C ROM chip).

The 0x44 device I suspect to be your cx25840, but I'm a little puzzled
as to why the driver couldn't initialize it correctly.

There's a lot more to be done.  Probably would be best to meet up on IRC
and discuss this.  Unfortunately I'm pretty much unavailable for the
next 7 days (heading out to a convention for my "other" hobby).  After
that we can try to coordinate getting this device working (and I can
also finally do a serious chase on the oops problem discussed last week,
AND I can get the Gotview fix pushed up as well)...