[pvrusb2] Only 6 lines in dmesg for OnAir GT

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Feb 27 10:13:16 CST 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Dean wrote:

> I am using Mandriva 2010.0 Linux.  When I connect my OnAir GT it makes only 6 lines in dmesg.
>
> usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10
> usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=11ba, idProduct=1101
> usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 1-3: Product: USB HDTV-GT(1.1)
> usb 1-3: Manufacturer: OnAirSolution
> usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>
> Why is it not trying to load the firmware?  My Hauppauge HVR-850 makes a lot more lines in dmesg, including some lines that show it looking for and loading firmware.  Shouldn't this OnAir GT be doing the same?

The firmware isn't being loaded because the driver isn't being loaded.
You should see messages when the driver gets loaded into the kernel and
then various other messages as it goes through its initialization
process.  The messages you do have here only come from the USB stack.
There appears to be no attempt to autoload the driver.

> I guess the pvrusb2 driver is included in my kernel, because I found the following file.
> /lib/modules/2.6.31.12-desktop586-1mnb/kernel/drivers/media/video/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.ko.gz

Hmm, well it's there in the right spot, but what's with the .gz
extension?  Last time I checked, kernel modules have to be uncompressed
in order to be loaded.  Try this as root:

cd /lib/modules/2.6.31.12-desktop586-lmnb/kernel/drivers/media/video/pvrusb2
gunzip pvrusb2.ko.gz
depmod -a

Now unplug and re-plug in your tuner.  Then do:

lsmod | grep pvrusb2

You should see a line that has "pvrusb2" in it.  That's evidence that
(this time) the driver has been loaded.  Look at your dmesg output again
and see if you can find messages from the driver this time.

> I have already placed v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw into /lib/firmware/ so it is available whenever the driver wants to load it.

Yes, that's definitely needed as well.

Does anyone know if Mandriva something strange with kernel modules to
save space?