[pvrusb2] Only 6 lines in dmesg for OnAir GT

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Feb 28 13:58:01 CST 2010

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Dean wrote:

> I tried your suggestions only with Mandriva, not the other four
> distros.  So far I've not been able to load the driver in Mandriva.
> By the way, it looks like all of Mandriva's kernel drivers/modules
> exist on the disk only as .gz files.

Well there must be something in that distro that auto-unzips modules as
they are needed.  First I've ever heard of that, though it does make
some sense to have something like that.

> I looked in some of my log files for any record of the USB stack
> calling the kernel module.  I don't know much about it but it seems
> like there should be some log that says a certain module has been
> called and found/not found.  Unfortunately I didn't find any such
> logs, and as this is not my area of expertise I opened a Mandriva bug
> report about the issue.

You won't find any such thing in the log.

> I have a working HVR-850 which uses the em28xx kernel module.  I was
> able to replicate the pvrusb2 problem with the HVR-850 just by
> renaming the em28xx directory where it's .gz drivers are stored.
> After renaming, connecting the HVR-850 resulted in just a few lines,
> maybe 6, in dmesg buffer, and no error message.

What is *supposed* to happen is that the USB ID of the device should
trigger the loading of the pvrusb2 module.  Once loaded, the pvrusb2
module is logically attached to the pvrusb2 module and everything works.

Everything you've described to this point suggests that your device is
not being associated with the pvrusb2 module.  This is surprising since
the device you are trying to run has worked with the pvrusb2 module for
quite some time.  The kernel version you listed should have been recent
enough.

I just realized something here, and I'm sorry I didn't realize this
earlier.  You're running an OnAir GT?  That is an entirely different
device, not supported by the pvrusb2 driver.  That would explain
everything you've observed.