[pvrusb2] AVC-3610 Support??

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Oct 20 13:02:37 CDT 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Bjorn de la Cour wrote:

> Okay Mike, so I have some more free time to try and get AVC-3610
> working. If I was to ether take it apart to get chip IDs, send the USB
> software capture output from windows XP. Would you be able to tell if
> the PVRUSB2 drivers could be used for the AVC-3610. Which is better or
> should I just do both. If you think it is possible to modify the
> drivers. I would be willing to send you a AVC-3610. I just don't want
> to send one if it's not unlikely the you can modify the drivers. I
> understand that your time is limited so am hoping that it's just
> adding a few extra lines of code.

Bjorn:

I'd start by looking at the chips.  Take off the cover and shoot a nice
steady well-light high resolution digital picture of the board.
Possible also shoot additional zoomed photos of the major chips if the
primary picture can be detailed enough.  Do that and it should be the
only time you'll have to pop the cover - since we can always go back and
look at the photos again.  Knowing the chips that are present we can
probably make a fair guess about whether or not the pvrusb2 driver has a
chance of working with it.  If so, then there's more experiments to do
(one of which involves capturing USB traffic as you suspect).

As for my time and interest, I am interested in seeing this work.  But
as we approach the holidays my time is going to get progressively more
scarce.  I have another hobby which involves a capella harmony and as
you might imagine that gets pretty busy towards the holidays.  Even now
this is already starting to ramp up.

Start with some board photos first; that will probably give an idea of
how easy / difficult this effort will likely be.  After that we can
worry about time and effort.  (Fact is, getting this device going has
been a desire of multiple people over several years so in the overall
grand scheme of things a few weeks is not a big effect.)