[pvrusb2] HP / Adaptec AVC-3610 support in PVRUSB2 ?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Apr 29 13:55:08 CDT 2011

Greg:

The primary problem for me here is that I can't directly support the
AVC-3610 because I don't have a sample to test.  So I have to rely on
others to figure out the differences and/or try changes to the driver.

Generally, if the hardware is compatible enough (i.e. generally follows
the usual reference design when using the Conexant encoder chip), then
adding support for it in the pvrusb2 driver usually comes down to:

1. Figuring out how the video grabber chip's inputs are wired (i.e.
which one is composite vs which one is wired to s-video) and defining a
routing scheme for it in the driver.

2. Figuring out how to route FM radio audio, if there is an FM radio in
the device.

3. Adding a definition in pvrusb2-devattr.c to recognize and configure
the device.

If it is a hybrid device (e.g. OnAir or HVR-1950 type device) then
there's more work to get the digital side operating, but that is (still)
not a very common case.  There also might be issues with getting IR
working if it has an IR receiver - though mostly that complexity has
involved Hauppauge devices.

At this point, there (still) isn't any support for the AVC-3610 in the
pvrusb2 driver.  But if you (or anyone) has useful patches to add that
support, I'll be happy to merge those in.

  -Mike