[pvrusb2] Two PVR USB2 unit initially tune PAL as black and white

Tom Warren psycadillac at gmail.com
Wed May 4 03:29:37 CDT 2011

Greetings,

I have two WinTV PVR USB '24xxx' boxes I'm using with the pvrusb2 driver
which feed into tvheadend to stream PAL cable channels to xbmc. The set up
works but I always get the first tuned channel in black & white and have to
tune to one (or more) different channels and then go back to the original
channel get colour. Occasionally a channel will later go black and white
again and I must apply the same fix.

Could this be a driver problem, hardware problem, or fine-tuning problem??

I saw a post from 2006 that describes a similar issue using NTSC:

http://www.isely.net/pipermail/pvrusb2/2006-January/000384.html

I'm running Ubuntu server 10.10 64-bit with the driver from
linux-s2api-tbs6980-1_20101024 (commercial mod for the Tenow International
TBS6981 dual satellite card) in which I made a small modification to set:

.pixelformat    = V4L2_PIX_FMT_MPEG,

...in the pvrusb2-v4l2.c file in order for tvheadend to recognise it as a
valid source.

Since both boxes behave the same way, I suspect this is an issue with the
driver. What can I do to debug the issue further?

Thanks,

Tom