[pvrusb2] WinTV USB2/Tv-Viewer question

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 03:52:01 CDT 2013

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:33:54AM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Roger <rogerx.oss at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1) Power Supply (Likely older models?) - Lost my old PVRUSB2 Model #29061
>> because I think the power supply shorted-out, and the power strip surge
>> protector likely could not handle this scenario.  Oddly, this scenario very
>> likely tripped two separate breakers in the house just as I heard a very loud
>> pop noise!  Not just the breaker of the house circuit the PVRUSB2 device was
>> on, but the bedroom as well.
>
>By any chance was there a transformer load in the Bedroom?  Or
>something else with "high" power requirements, like a large air
>conditioner?  When the voltage(s) change rapidly (such as a
>short), there can be a current surge as a transformer (or motor)
>field collapses.  In theory circuit breakers are supposed to handle
>inrush/outrush currents, but in theory, theory and practice are
>the same, and in practice, they are not.

Another computer on the bedroom circuit, that's about a 100-200 watts tops if
it were on, which I don't think it was.  I did notice the bedroom circuit is
right above/below the living room circuit in the breaker box, so I attributed
it to the breaker location within the box, and the fact the PVRUSB2 29061 was
no longer working.  On other circuits, there's an electric kitchen range which
I did operate just as the other two circuits tripped.  Also have a septic pump
and water pump which *might* have been operating at the time, again separate
circuits/breakers.

Not too worried about it now, as I'm pretty sure it was the old PVRUSB2 29061
power supply.  Nothing else could really explain such a scenario, unless the
grid took a spike.  Also well grounded here.  One exterior perimeter ground,
and one on the basement ground water well pipe.  Also another separate ground
rod for the antennas. ;-)

Shrugs.  Stuff happens as they say.

--
Roger